As a Chartered Civil Engineer with two postgraduate qualification in Law and Accounting & Finance, Geoff Smith possesses a unique background in the legal and engineering world. Geoff is experienced in construction and infrastructure projects both at a national and international level.
Besides his expertise in civil engineering, law and accounting & finance, Geoff is also a recognized expert in mediation and dispute resolution. He and his partner James Perry have been consulted numerous times in order to represent large contractors and companies during complex arbitration cases.
Just like his partner Jim, Geoff is also an accredited international trainer for the International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC), for whom he regularly provides in depth training to multilateral development banks, governments, engineers and companies. His seminars cover a variety of topics such as dispute resolution, contract management, procurement and dispute adjudication boards.
Three qualifications, a double-linguistic background in English and French and extensive portfolio of projects in over 40 countries around the world, ultimately make Geoff Smith the go-to expert for construction, infrastructure and energy projects.
Date of Birth
- Founding Partner
- Loughborough University, UK
- Holborn College of Law, UK
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, UK
- Language: English (native) French (fluent)
- Dual Nationality: French & British
- Chairman, Bank Liaison Committee of Dispute Resolution Board Foundation responsible for relations between International Financing Institutions and the Dispute Resolution Board Foundation
2003 - present
|Founding Partner - PS Consulting (Contracts Management & Dispute Resolution)||
1995 - 2003
|Independent Consultant (Contracts & Dispute Management)|
1988 - 1995
|Operations Director (France) – DSG (Claims Consultants)|
1985 - 1987
|Senior Contracts Manager – seconded to Bouygues SA – Iraq|
1983 - 1985
|Contracts Manager – seconded to CM Fillod SA – Iraq|
1981 - 1983
|Contracts Manager – seconded to Sobea Spie Capag JV – Iraq|
1979 - 1981
|Assistant Resident Engineer – Sir Bruce White & Partners - UK|
|Graduate Engineer – Edmund Nuttall Ltd - UK|
- BSc – Degree in Civil Engineering
- LLDip – Postgraduate Diploma in Law
- CDipAF – Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting & Finance
- CEng – Chartered Engineer
- FICE – Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers
- FCIArb – Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Barrister Member of Middle Temple, Bar of England & Wales
- Accredited Mediator & Conciliator (CIArb & ICE)
- Member of the Society of Construction Law
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the Disputes Resolution Board Foundation
- Member of the FIDIC President’s List of Approved Disputes adjudicators
- Member of the SYNTEC “Liste Française d’Adjudicateurs FIDIC”
Accredited International Trainer (FIDIC)
- Consultant to the Indonesian Board for Construction Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution (BADAPSKI)
- Sole member of three Dispute Boards in relation to road projects in Francophone Africa.
- Sole member of a Dispute Board in relation to an East European Design & Build roads project (FIDIC appointment).
- Member of a 3-person Dispute Board in relation to an East European roads project.
- Member of a 3-person Dispute Board in relation to a mass transit railway, S.E. Asia.
- Sole member of a Dispute Board in relation to a hydro-electric project in West Africa.
- Member of a 3-person Dispute Board in relation to an airport project in sub-Sahara Africa (French & English).
- Member of a 3 person Dispute Board in relation to an irrigation project in sub-Sahara Africa (French & English).
- Party-appointed arbitrator in ad-hoc proceedings in relation to 230 km of motorway in Greece.
- Counsel in CIETAC arbitration, Beijing – related to the termination of a construction contract – successfully argued for loss of profit on Works not executed.
- Counsel in ad-hoc arbitration, Jakarta, related to claims for delay, loss & expense, arising from a condominium project.
- Counsel in ad-hoc arbitration, Southern Africa – related to claims of professional negligence by the Engineer.
- Management of (and party representative in) a CIAC arbitration (Philippines) relation to a condominium project.
- Assisted Counsel in BANI arbitration, Jakarta, related to claims for delay, loss & expense arising from a condominium project.
- Advised on the execution of arbitral awards in a number of jurisdictions, including in relation to a Cairo hotel refurbishment project.
- Mediated resolution of Main Contractor / Subcontractor dispute arising from a condominium project in Indonesia.
- Mediator in a dispute between the Consulting Engineer/Client arising from a geothermal power installation in Western Europe.
- Expert witness (quantum) in ICC arbitration in relation to a railway project in Algeria (French language).
- Expert witness in ICC arbitration in relation to an ore-handling terminal in New Caledonia (French language).
- Expert witness (quantum) in Stockholm Chamber of Commerce arbitration in relation to construction of a brick-works in Russia.
- Forensic programming in preparation for ICC arbitration in relation to a power plant in the Netherlands.
- Audit following an arbitration in relation to a motorway project in Sri Lanka in order to facilitate negotiations.
- FIDIC accredited international trainer – developed and presented courses on Contracts & Contracts Administration on behalf of FIDIC in numerous countries in Asia, Middle-East & Africa. Mentor for candidates seeking accreditation as trainers.
- JICA – developed training materials and presented courses in East & SE Asia in relation to the MDB Harmonised Edition of the FIDIC Red Book.
- ADB – developed materials and trained ADB staff (Headquarters, Central & SE Asia) on MDB Harmonised Edition of the FIDIC Red Book, the FIDIC Yellow & Gold Books & good procurement practice under FIDIC contracts.
- OECD/EU – Preparation of “Contracts” training module for countries aspiring to join the EU; critical review & contributor to “Contracts Performance” training module; preparation and presentation of “Contracts Management” training course; author of paper on the “Enforcement of Supply Contracts”.
- In-house Contracts Management courses in France, U.K., Russia, Romania, Cyprus, Morocco, Turkmenistan, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Nigeria, Canada
- In-house FIDIC courses in Romania, Thailand, Qatar, Denmark, France.
- Preparation of Contracts Management guide for major French general contractor (French language).
- Mentor to students following MSc Degree in Construction Law at King’s College, London.
- Railway refurbishment (650 km) – Cambodia
- Mécheria-Bechar Railway (360 km) – Algeria (French language)
- Railway electrification – Algeria (French language)
- Track-work for Rapid Transit System – Taipei, Taiwan
- Docklands Light Railway Extension to Bank Station – London, UK
- MRT project – S.E. Asia
- Roads projects – Greece, Romania, Bosnia, Sri Lanka, Senegal, Tanzania, Irak
- Phu My 2.2 Thermal Power Station – Vietnam
- Ca Mau 1 & 2 Thermal Power Station – Vietnam
- Ore handling terminal – New Caledonia (French language)
- Combined Heat & Energy Plant – Netherlands
- Thermal Power Plant – Malta
- Two thermal power stations – Lebanon
- 4 x 415 MW Combined Cycle Thermal Power Station – UK
- Refurbishment of a hydro-electric installation – West Africa
- Oil installations – Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- Oil installations – Saudi Arabia
- Pharmaceutical installation – Belgium
- Steelworks – Nigeria
- Brick-works – St. Petersburg, Russia
- LNG Terminal – France (French language)
- LNG Terminal – Greece
- Refurbishment of a gas storage facility – France (French language)
- Gas pipelines & compressor stations – Belgium & France (French language)
- Ground treatment works – Paris, France (French language)
- Funicular tunnel under a glacier – France (French language)
- Soft ground tunnelling – UK
- Directional drilling – France (French language)
- Port development – Kenya
- Thames Tidal Flood Defences – UK
- Water distribution network– Baghdad, Iraq
- Refurbishment of sewage pumping stations – Ghana
- “Airbus” offices & training centre – Beijing, PRC
- Shopping Mall – Shanghai, PRC
- Shopping Mall – Surabaya, Indonesia
- Numerous Condominium Projects – Jakarta, Indonesia
- Numerous Condominium Projects – Bangkok, Thailand
- Pacific Plaza Towers Condominium – Manila, Philippines
- Le Meridien Hotel – Bangkok, Thailand
- Borobudur Intercontinental Hotel Refurbishment – Jakarta, Indonesia
- Office complexes in Moscow (Russia), Abu Dhabi (UAE), Bangkok (Thailand) and Alabang (Philippines)
- 1000 beds hospital (PPP) – Corbeil Essonne, France (French language)
- Building design consultancy agreement – Moscow, Russia
- Ministry Headquarters – Abuja, Nigeria
- Ministry Headquarters – Baghdad, Iraq
- 20 Gymnasia – Iraq
- 1000 Housing Units – Gaborone, Botswana
- EuroDisney Magic Kingdom theme park – Marne la Vallée, France
- Art Centre – Southern France (French language)
- “Due Diligence” audit in relation to acquisition of a major UK contractor by French company
- 3rd Party audit in relation to Main Contractor/Sub-contractor dispute Cameroon
- Speaker at the Asian-Pacific FIDIC User’s Conference, Shenzhen, July 2014
- Speaker at World Bank Meeting of Heads of Procurement MENA Region, Sharjah, June 2014
- Session Chair, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation Conference, Singapore, May 2014
- Workshop Organiser, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation, Paris, May 2013
- Session Chair at the 4th International Construction Law Conference, Melbourne, May 2012
- Workshop Leader, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation, Sydney, May 2012
Curriculum Vitae – Geoff Smith
- Speaker at the Asian-Pacific FIDIC Users’ Conference, Singapore, July 2011
- Speaker on “Contracts Management” at OECD – EU Procurement Conference, Skopje, June 2010
- Speaker on “Dispute Resolution Mechanisms” at ICE European Local Associations Conference, Paris, May 2010
- Speaker (in French) on “The Role of the Expert in Construction Disputes”, Paris, December 2009
- Speaker on “Mediation” at Fédération Nationale des Travaux Publics, Paris, February 2006
- Co-author with Jim Perry of “The Evolution of Global Claims” – The International Construction Law Review, Informa Publishing, April 2005
- Speaker on “Causes of Construction Disputes” at ICE European Local Associations Conference, Munich, May 2003